- Have treats ready and work in a quiet environment.
- Don’t let the dog succeed going in the direction in which he pulls. When the tension on the leash eases, make your sound and change direction. NEVER allow pulling by you or by your dog!
- Use a reinforcing word such as “good” or “yes” to replace the treat once the technique is learned or at least used regularly.
- Walk slowly, allowing sniffing and exploring,
- Reward the behavior while it is still happening
- Don’t work beyond your dog’s attention span.
- Hardest of all: BE PATIENT AND ALLOW YOUR DOG TO CHOOSE TO BE WITH YOU!
This blog is for those who want to explore how to build trust and confidence with their dog, using Positive Training Methods.
Monday, February 18, 2019
Tips and Reminders for Loose Leash Walking
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment